Glasgow Western Ladies Hockey Club - Club History
Glasgow Western Ladies Hockey Club was founded in 1903 and is the premier club in Scotland, with 80+ members spanning 4 teams. For much of its history the club has led a nomadic existence but, in 1985 found its present home at Titwood on the south side of Glasgow, when it joined Clydesdale Cricket.
Glasgow Western has been the largest and most successful club in Scotland since 1976, winning the National Outdoor League on 23 occasions including 19 consecutive titles from 1976 to 1999. The club has also won the Scottish Cup, the National Indoor League, and the National Indoor Cup more than 10 times each.
As League and Cup Winners, Glasgow Western has competed at 23 European Club Championships and 4 European Cup Winners' Cups winning 6 silver medals and 3 bronze medals. On the indoor front, the club have competed at 8 European Indoor Championships winning 3 bronze medals.
In February 1999, Glasgow Western hosted the 10th European 'A' Division Indoor Club Championships at the Kelvin Hall and in June 2000, the 27th European 'A' Division Club Championships at our home pitch Clydesdale. Both tournaments were supported by Glasgow City Council and the Sports Council for Glasgow.